Preventive dentistry comprises treatments and oral practices that promote dental health. It also protects you from dental diseases like decay or gum disease. Preventive dentistry is all about adopting healthy oral practices in your daily life and regular exams and procedures that prevent dental disease.
Why Do You Need Preventive Dentistry Services?
Preventive dentistry services can help you avoid future dental problems and get early treatment for existing dental problems before any complications arise. Everyone, including children and seniors, can benefit from preventive dentistry services.
What Are the Benefits of Preventive Dentistry Services?
Preventive dentistry has a lot of benefits for dental health, such as:
- It helps prevent tooth decay and gum disease
- It helps prevent tooth loss
- It promotes healthy oral hygiene habits
- Cost and time of treatment are minimized
- It is also beneficial for your overall health
- It can significantly reduce dental problems associated with eating disorders, diabetes, and osteoporosis
- It can help in the prevention and early diagnosis of oral cancer
What Is Oral Hygiene?
Oral hygiene is the practice of keeping your mouth clean and free of diseases. Oral hygiene is the everyday side of dentistry. Follow these tips to maintain oral hygiene:
- Schedule regular appointments with your hygienist and dentist
- Brush your teeth twice a day
- Use a standard mouthwash
- Drink more water for your overall dental health
- Floss your teeth
- Keep removable dentures in a cleaning solution when not in use
- Limit the intake of acidic fruits, teas, coffee, and sugary snacks
What Is Preventive Dental Care?
Preventive dental care includes routine oral examinations, X-rays, cleanings, and fluoride treatments. A standard preventive care appointment includes:
- Screening for periodontal disease and oral cancer
- General examination and professional cleaning aimed at identifying and addressing dental issues early
- X-rays to check the status of dental restorations and overall dental health
- Preventive treatments if necessary
What Oral Care Products Should I Use?
Adults should use a toothbrush with a small to medium-sized head and soft to medium bristles. There are special toothpaste options for issues like plaque and gum disease or for people with sensitive teeth. Choose the one that works for you. There are also different types of mouthwash depending on your needs. All of these products go a long way in maintaining the overall health of your mouth.
If you are not sure what type of toothpaste or mouthwash to use, you can consult with our dentist or hygienist for proper guidance.
Thunderbird Dental Studio located in Peoria, AZ offers high-quality dental care and is equipped with modern technologies for state-of-the-art dental treatments. For appointments, call (623) 933-6010 or book online.