How to Care for Your Dentures
Posted by MINT DENTAL CARE on Mar 14 2022, 03:55 AM
Removable partial or full dentures require special care to stay clean, stain-free, and in good condition. Mint Dental Care is here to provide you with the best advice.
Why Should You Keep Your Dentures Clean?
Plaque and food adhere to dentures in the same manner that they adhere to natural teeth. Dental plaque is a bacteria-laden film that forms on dentures and teeth after eating and drinking. Plaque can build up on your dentures if you don't clean them, putting you at risk of gum disease and bad breath. Cleanings regularly are critical to your overall oral health.
How Should Dentures Be Cared For?
- After eating, remove and rinse your dentures. To remove food debris and other loose particles from your dentures, run water over them. You might want to put a towel in the sink to keep the dentures from breaking if you drop them.
- Handle your dentures with care. When cleaning, take care not to bend or damage the plastic or the clasps.
- After removing your dentures, brush your teeth. On natural teeth, use a soft-bristled toothbrush, and clean your tongue, cheeks, and roof of your mouth with gauze or a soft toothbrush. Remove any remaining denture adhesive from your gums if you used it.
- Brush your dentures at least once per day. Every day, take your dentures out and gently clean them. To remove food, plaque, and other deposits, soak them and brush them with a soft-bristled brush and nonabrasive denture cleanser. Do not use denture cleaners inside the mouth.
- Dentures should be soaked overnight. Most types of dentures require moisture to maintain their shape. Consult your dentist about how to properly store your dentures overnight. Cleaning and soaking solutions should be used following the manufacturer's instructions.
- Before putting dentures back in your mouth, thoroughly rinse them, especially if you used a denture-soaking solution. These solutions may contain harmful chemicals that, if swallowed, can cause vomiting, pain, or burns.
- Don't miss your regular dental checkups
How Frequently Should Your Dentures Be Cleaned?
Dentists recommend cleaning your dentures at least once a day. Brushing your dentures twice a day is even better.
Mint Dental Care guarantees that you will receive the best treatment possible from our experienced dentists. If you have any questions or concerns, please call us at +1 (623) 471-5433 or visit our office at 8258 W Thunderbird Rd SUITE: 201, Peoria, AZ 85381. For more information, please contact us at [email protected]